ads

Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Women's Day: Celebrating Makfu Miriam Labu Awudu "Ma'amu



Today March 8, I celebrate a woman of integrity, dynamic, hard working and a veritable Grandma. She is no other woman than Makfu Miriam Labu Awudu "Ma'amu'. In our contemporary society some people might think that being the virtuous woman that was described in Proverbs 31 is impossible. As women around the globe commemorate the 2022 International Women's Day, it is timely for me to commit to memories, a life worth celebrating. Ma'amu is the only Grandma I have known in my life. She was the moon and the sun, and was worth more than gold. At 102 years, she is probably the oldest woman in Donga Mantung Division. 
However old Ma'amu was, she still looked very strong and beautiful. Everybody used to admire her and that is the reason why many children  have been named after her.
She composed traditional songs to the listening of all her grand, great grand children and also told wonderful stories every evening before everyone gets to bed. Even from a long distance, she would recognize everyone. I remember the last time I visited her, the advise she gave me are worth more than all diamonds on earth.
In everything she did, and or stood for my Ma'amu was very real. She had built a very strong foundation for all her children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and great, great grandchildren. She was very hardworking woman. As old as she was, she feeds her chicks every morning and had the strength to visit her farm. I remember one day when I started my landscapes restoration activities (tree planting) and I wanted to give up she took time and encouraged me never to quit in life. Such is the life worth celebrating this March 8, 2022. Now I hope that her soul rests in eternal peace knowing that she played her part very well and that her children together with all the coming generations on her lineage will always remember. 
Grandmothers are gift of knowledge, a Wikipedia and a school. But after teaching us everything about life, like many other Makfus, Ma'amu forgot to teach us how to live without her. Dear God, if flowers grow in heaven, plug some and place on her hands on this great day the world is celebrating women.WhenNews Breaks Out, We Break In. (The 2014 Bloggies Finalist)

No comments: